Friendship Presbyterian Church PC(USA) is a MoreLight Church and a member of the Chicago Coalition of Welcoming Churches.
The Chicago Coalition of Welcoming Churches is a collaboration of churches and other ministries in the Chicago metropolitan area which welcome and affirm people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We have two goals:
- To spread the message of our members’ LGBTQ-inclusion across the Chicago metropolitan area, mindful that a positive message about sexual and family diversity is a gift to all people.
- To connect the leaders, members, and guests of our partner churches for fellowship and education, enabling support and resource-sharing for the practices of faithful welcome.
*When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, he said, “The first is… ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31)
We are individual members and congregations of the Presbyterian Church (USA) who are faithful to God’s call and believe that God continues to open new understandings of scripture and the Word in the life of Christ. As a Christian community, we believe that the church must seek to live out those understandings in our life together. Our work is supported by an elected board of lay and ordained persons and full-time staff.
What Does MLP Do?
- Provide a ministry of care for inclusive congregations and build new MLP Chapters around the country.
- Educate individuals, churches, and presbyteries on LGBTQ issues through published materials and programs;
- Train leaders in congregations and presbyteries to advocate for the full participation of LGBTQ Christians in the life and ministry of the Presbyterian Church;
- Support legislation that promotes justice for all in Church and society, focusing on LGBTQ concerns;
- Engage with other ecumenical, interfaith and secular partners to support the LGBTQ community in matters of justice;
- Bear witness to the God-given gifts of all LGBTQ people and honor the covenants of all couples.